Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Interview #3 - New Venturing Marketing Subject Matter Expert


Ever since my Intro to Marketing class, I’ve come to view marketing as a deceitful way of manipulating the public to over-consume and convince people to buy things that they don’t actually need…so when I was asked to interview someone who deals with marketing for new ventures, I was less than enthusiastic. After a bit of research however, I found that there are some super creative marketers out there who promote businesses that aren’t just “in it for the money”. Fortunately, I was able find an interviewee who takes a unique approach in promoting meaningful new ventures that she truly cares about and believes in!

As if the website wasn’t enough evidence, a mere glance into Jenny Greer’s office revealed the artistic unconventionality of SoundMind Creative. I took a seat on a comfy couch nestled right under a wall decorated with business cards, flyers, CD cases, you name it – adding the stylish ambiance of vibrant art on the walls. As it turns out, each of these artful masterpieces was created by Jenny through Soundmind Creative.

It didn’t take long for me to realize that Jenny wears many hats; not only did she start Soundmind Creative, but she serves as a brand consultant, graphic designer, creative director, and illustrator. Obviously these roles have some overlap, but at the same time, they allow her to approach her work in very different ways depending on the project.

“I think the common thread for us has been a lot of entrepreneurs because either it’s a new project or a new company,” Jenny explained “My favorite thing to do is work with new companies.” Although she went to school for graphic design with the intentions of being a designer, she’d played a lot of music and started a band, “We started off mostly wanting to serve the music industry, so a lot of my referrals have come from very creative people. It’s kind of expanded, we also do stuff for the city, stuff for universities, [etc.]”

So even though she had planned to pursue graphic design, her interest in music played a really big role in getting her to where she is now. “I came to Asheville and there weren’t really any design companies here so I had to start my own,” Jenny said as she explained to me her move from Atlanta (where she’d worked with a lot of large brands like Coke, M&M Mars, etc.). “I always made sure I did what I wanted to do.”

Inspired by her entrepreneurial words of wisdom, I then recalled my original viewpoint of marketing and realized that marketing doesn’t necessarily have to be this unscrupulous, irritating way for companies to manipulate consumers, but that it can actually be quite honorable, artistic work. This raised my question of how she was able to promote SoundMind Creative in a way that attracted such a down-to-earth clientele. 

She responded, “All my business comes from referrals, I don’t know if I’m just repelling people who are doing bad things. I’m always willing to bend over backwards for someone I believe in. Like for example there’s a cider company opening and they’re using all local apples; how cool is that?! That’s awesome to me. I don’t really care about the money that much; I care about good honest work”

Woah. This last part got me – truly words I’d never expected to hear coming from a marketer’s mouth! This was it; that gentle expose of Jenny’s entrepreneurial spirit: being motivated by the work that you do because you care about it, not necessarily by the money you earn doing it. Clearly, Jenny finds passion in helping new ventures succeed – these are the kinds of people that help create communities (like Asheville) who embrace and support entrepreneurs!

If there’s one thing I took away from this interview, it’s to make your choices based on what you care about. If you find what you’re passionate about it and run with it, you’ll end up finding a way to do what you love.

No comments:

Post a Comment